(Submit Articles) Self tanning products are certain chemicals which help you to get that perfect tan without stepping out into the sun! In the late 60s it was discovered that the conventional method of tanning that involves exposing your body to sun can lead to skin cancer. It was then that self tanning came into the picture in a big way and a lot of sunless products were launched.
There are many different kinds of self tanning products, lotions, and sprays available in the market such as -
* Self tanning products containing DHA or dihydroxyacetone. These sunless products are the most effective as the tan that is created after their use is not paint or a dye but in fact is a result of a chemical reaction between the amino acid present in the skin and the DHA! This tan is temporary and fades between three and ten days.
* There are also self tanning products containing the chemical tyrosine. These come in the form of lotions and pills and claim to increase the formation of melanin which accelerates the tanning process. But, they have to be used with UV rays for them to work.
* Another self tanning product is a self tanning pill containing canthaxanthin. This is also used to add color to food. However, as a sunless tanning product, much larger quantities are used which can be harmful. When this pill is consumed it turns a layer below the skin into an orange brown color. But, this product has been noted to have many harmful side-effects and must be used with care.
* Another product which is still in developing stage is Afamelanotide which activates melanocyte that aides in skin darkening.
* Then there are bronzers that come in the form of powders, mousse, gels, sprays, moisturizers and lotions. They are pretty easy to use. Like make-up, you just need to apply them on the skin and remove them with soap and water. There is another alternative of this self tanning product which is air brush and it can last for almost ten days, fading only when you take a shower.
So, there are a lot of self tanning products to choose from, but you are also recommended to try the product on a small area of your body to see if you are allergic to it or not.
Self Tanning Products are an alternative to natural tanning options. These can be used at home and save you from the trouble of visiting a tanning booth or a salon. However, these products can have some harmful effects, so it is advisable to test the product on a small part of your skin before trying. Visit us: http://www.sunlabsonline.com/Scripts/default.asp .
Visit the Author's website: http://www.sunlabsonline.com/