Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a common term used by VoIP provider for the transmission technologies for delivery of voice over IP networks like the Internet or other packet-switched networks. Other terms synonymous and encountered with VOIP are VOIP IP telephony, voice over broadband, broadband phone, broadband telephony and Internet telephony.
Internet telephony refers to communications services like acsimile, voice, find/or voice-messaging applications that are transported via the Internet, rather than the public switched telephone network.
The steps involved in originating an Internet phone call are conversion of the analog voice signal to digital format and translation/ compression of the signal into Internet protocol (IP) packets to transmit over the Internet; the whole process is reversed at the receiving end.
Key features of VOIP Phones
The VOIP technology has many key features to attract a large section of people towards itself and that are:
5. With the VOIP phones, the making of calls has become cheap and easy. You can easily make long distance, international and local calls by using a broadband net connection which is a high-speed net connection.
6. Its one of the most significant advantages is its capability of directing the incoming calls to the VOIP service and you can easily get the details of incoming calls from any computer possessing internet by using VOIP system.
7. It helps a lot in cost reduction because of the cheap call rates, the monthly telephone bills have cut down. So, setting up this system is very much beneficial economically.
8. It is a network that follows you everywhere; therefore you will never miss any of your calls even if you are out of town.
There are also many value added services offered by many VOIP providers. For example, there is voice mail facility, speed dialing, 3-way conference, call forwarding, call waiting, simultaneous ring, caller ID, caller ID block, call return, anonymous call rejection, an interesting feature of do not disturb and last number dial. These services are mostly free of cost in their basic service plan.
Uses of VOIP Phones
3. The broadband phone can be used to replace the analog phone line or it can be used as a second phone. One of the most significant uses of VOIP service is to make long distance as well as internationals calls at very cheap rates.
4. The most attractive thing in getting these values added services from VoIP Provider is that they are free of cost. These phone service providers also provide a service of virtual phone number.
So, I hope all these salient features of VOIP have attracted you towards itself.
Visit the Author's website: http://www.citel.com/